Everyone loves a retro beauty fad once in a while, but if you take a closer look at those old family photos, there are some you hope will never be seen again. As we begin a new decade, now’s the perfect time to review some of our top bad beauty and hair trends through the years. If you happen to be sporting a couple of them, no offense – as they say, beauty (even bad beauty!) is in the eye of the beholder…
- Frosty faces are one way to describe the shades of sparkly blue and green eye shadow and white eyeliner that went along with frosty light colored lips.
- Bo Derek’s cornrows in the film “10” inspire white women who are not vacationing on a tropical island to sport the look, too. Some looks are better suited for women of color, and this is one of them.
- Just for the guys: Can you even think 70s without picturing the big ol’ porn moustaches? So glad that trend hasn’t resurfaced.
- Some 1960s flower child spillover resulted in anti-haircut gals with long straight hair that was just crying out for a layer or two, or even bangs.
- Holy bushy brows, Batman, err, Brooke! Big-browed beauties were definitely part of 80s culture, as Madonna’s tweeze-free look illustrates.
- Ever see a kid who just ate a brownie? That’s not too far off what dark lip liner and light-colored lipstick resembles. It looks like makeup-in-progress.
- Just for the guys: Business in the front, party in the back… of course, we’re talking about the mullet!
- When hair looks like crinkle-cut French fries, you’ve been crimped! In the 80s, though, people did this on purpose, and paid big money for it.
- Isn’t it a shame to let all of that leftover Halloween makeup go to waste each year? That is, unless you were into the goth makeup craze of the 90s. Sadly, we can’t even blame the “Twilight” books on that fad.
- Doesn’t the word grunge just sound icky? Yet grunge was a full-fledged “look” during the last decade of the 20th century, down to the seemingly unwashed and unkempt hair and pale makeup palette. Looks like MaryKate‘s living in the past.
- Boyish pixie haircuts (think Winona Ryder or Demi Moore in “Ghost”) briefly caught on, even if it did make women look like they were auditioning for the lead role in Peter Pan.
- Just for the guys: We may have thought Dylan and Brandon were just dreamy in 90210 with their long sideburns, but we’re glad that dudes everywhere have graduated from that choppy look.
- We’re not exactly sure when it started, but please – read my lips: stop the lip injection madness! Haven’t we learned anything from Meg Ryan’s and Lisa Rinna’s puckers? Yet, the beauty aisles are flooded with lip plumping products.
- Fake ‘n Bake is all the rage, as orange-colored sun/tanning bed worshippers hit the town and strut their bronze stuff. Guess the “Jersey Shore” cast and their disciples haven’t gotten the skin cancer memo.
- Just for the guys: Hello American Idol singer Adam Lambert, Zac Efron, and that guy who never ages on the show “Lost” – you’ve been chosen to represent one of the oddest male beauty trends: Guyliner. In case it’s not obvious, it’s guys who wear eyeliner.
- Apparently, this is the decade in which people wish they could smell like their favorite celebrities. Perfumes and fragrances from the likes of Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani, 50 Cent, Derek Jeter, and Kim Kardashian to name a few, make no scents sense.
Celeb photos by PR Photos
Popular Beauty Schools